Most of you are probably aware of the countless uses baking soda offers. Otherwise known as sodium bicarbonate, this ingredient is easily affordable, and yet so potent. It can even fight off colds and cancer. Also, a lot of people use it for oral hygiene, as a deodorant, etc.
Sodium bicarbonate is a highly recommendable ingredient for treatment and prevention of numerous health issues like diarrhea, acidity, drug intoxication, metabolic acidosis, and peptic ulcers. Moreover, due to the presence of sodium in it, baking soda has the power to prevent hyperkalemia, kidney stones, and bladder infections.
Let’s look at a more detailed analysis of some of the best benefits of baking soda:
- It neutralizes stomach acid-you can easily restore your pH balance by drinking a mixture of ½ tsp of baking soda and a cup of water. In most cases, the body turns acidic due to an unhealthy diet, however, baking soda can successfully help you neutralize this acidity and make your organism more alkaline.
Otto Warburg, a distinguished doctor and Noble prize winner found that cancer cells are unable to thrive in an alkaline surrounding, they need an acidic body. Therefore, keeping your body alkaline is crucial if you want to stay healthy.
- Relieves heartburn-experts explain that heartburns are caused by an acid buildup in the stomach. And, when this acid rises up the esophagus, there is a burning sensation followed by discomfort, known as heartburn. Baking soda neutralizes the acid at the source.
- Treats urinary tract infections-if you’ve been diagnosed with a urinary tract infection, drink baking soda water daily until the infection is gone. However, always consult your physician first.
- Alleviates gout ache-gout, or the inflammation of the joints caused by uric acid deposits in the body, can be relieved with the help of baking soda and water mixture.
- Decreases cold and flu symptoms-baking soda can destroy the virus completely if it’s take in the early stages of the infection. At day 1 of the infection, you need to drink 6 doses of ½ tsp of baking soda mixed with cool water, every 2 hours. Next, on day 2 of the infection, drink 4 doses of the mixture, every 3 hours; on day 3 drink 2 doses of the mixture, in the morning and at night, and, on day 4, drink 1 dose until the symptoms go away.
- Treats discomfort caused by kidney stones-drinking baking soda water on a regular basis dissolves stones and most importantly, prevents the formation of new ones. However, always consult your physician first.
- Increases physical performance-the alkalinity of baking soda lowers the levels of lactic acid produced by the muscles. This leads to more stamina and energy.
Test for low stomach acid
The stomach produces HCL which helps in the digestion process. This acid breaks down proteins into essential amino acids, encourages the proper functioning of the pancreas, and prevents the occurrence of diseases by destroying bacteria. So, low levels of HCL can cause a long list of gastric issues like indigestion, constipation, bloating, and heartburn.
Although the most accurate methods for stomach acidity levels are laboratory tests, you can also conduct your own test at home. Just mix ¼ tsp of baking soda and 8 oz. of cold water. Drink the mixture in the morning on an empty stomach. If you burp within 2 to 3 minutes, it means that your HCL is adequate.